JEROME TOWNSHIP occupies the southeastern corner of Union County. It is bounded on the east by Delaware and Franklin Counties, on the south by Franklin and Madison; Darby Township bounds it on the west, and Mill Creek on the north.
Big Darby Creek, its principal stream, crosses the southwest corner. Sugar Run flows southward through the central portion, and farther east several small streams take their origin and flow into Delaware and Franklin Counties. The surface is level, or slightly rolling. The valley of Big Darby is narrow, and the soil of it is a rich, black loam. Back of this a ridge of land rises, having a width of perhaps one-half mile, the soil, of which is somewhat gravelly. A fertile black soil is found beyond this, covering much of the southern portion of the township. Farther to the north, clay predominates. In early times.. the entire surface was densely forested, and much timber that would now possess great value, including black walnut and cherry, was felled and burned in large heaps, to make way for crops of corn and grass. Hickory, oak, walnut, elm, beech and swamp ash were the prevalent types of timber.
The township was organized March 12, 1821. As originally constituted, its bounds were as follows: Beginning at the northeast corner of Darby Township, thence east to the east line of Union County; all south to be known by the name of Jerome.
The first election was held May 10, 1821, for the selection of a Justice of the Peace. Clark Provin received the entire fifteen votes cast. James Ewing, who was then Sheriff of the county, Frederick Sager and Simeon Hager were the Judges of this election. John Taylor and John McCune were the Clerks.